Wednesday, May 30, 2012

me

This is a recent, funkified, picture of me before my good friend Karyn's wedding. I know these posts are most always about the boys (you're welcome), I thought I'd give a quick update on ME since I can't remember what I've told who (whom?).
I've had some neck pain/issues for quite some time and in January had an "accident" that really left me in pain-- a shower curtain rod fell down on Spencer and I, and I moved quickly to get Spence out of the way.  Anyway, it was painful and I suffered for quite some time.  I finally decided to see my primary care doctor, who referred me for an MRI last month.  The MRI revealed a herniated disc in my cervical spine and landed me a referral to a neurosurgeon.  That appointment went better than expected, though during the neurological exam there was some question about issues with my ulnar nerves (I've had numbness/tingling in my arms for a while).  The herniation is very minor, and towards the back of my neck so it isn't affecting any nerves.  IE: NO SURGERY required.  The neurosurgeon (who was really the Dr. House of Neurosurgery with his lack of bed-side manner) referred me for an EMG (electromyogram) test to see what was going on with the nerves in my arms.  That appointment was not a fun one, with electrical shocks sent through various nerves in my arms, followed by needles being inserted into various muscles in my arms.  However, the neurologist who did the exam didn't see anything "major", and I will find out more with my follow-up with the neurosurgeon.  
Phew.
So, I still have days where my neck is really sore.  And my arms still get numb and tingle sometimes.  But it does seem to be improving with yoga, massage, stretching, and more general awareness of body mechanics.  
Though now that gardening season is here, I need to be more aware of my stretching and taking general care of myself.
There.  Now you have the low-down on that...

No comments: